Saturday, March 13, 2010

La Dolce Vita!

So, I'm struggling with this movie a little bit; I think because we weren't able to talk about it in class, the reading was a difficult read for me, and it's just ridiculous to me that I'm sitting in my living room at home on spring break trying to think about this movie, and not on campus. I'm going to give it a go anyway...

To me, this film was just a massive array of fashion, women, parties, sex, alcohol, dysfunctional relationships, and oddly-- religion. Throughout the entire three hours, I felt like I wasn't quite sure what I should feel, or what the movie was supposed to make me feel I guess. Was it praising this loose lifestyle that was all fun and games and no morals? Was is criticizing it? I didn't know.

I knew Marcello was our main character, but I never felt like we were completely in his point of view. It was more like we were watching him, we were never shown clearly how he felt about his life. On top of this, he was quite confusing! There are times when we watch him struggle, seeming to question his journalism career and it's worth. In the end though, he switches from journalism to public relations (I think?) which to me just seems like a move toward digging himself deeper into this life dictated by celebrity "high life".

We also saw Marcello's relationship with his girlfriend Emma. At times it seemed like he truly cared for her, but then he would just go and treat her like complete crap again. Emma was the only character who seemed truly concerned with love, emotion, and moral value, but she was so over-the-top with her own emotions that it was impossible to appreciate her. Then there is Marcello's relationship with Maddalena, who tells Marcello she loves him while being seduced by another man simultaneously.

The religious aspects of the film were especially hard for me to grasp. I could easily see how people thought the film was doing nothing more than mocking Catholicism. The way I took it was that like all else in the film, religion became a hype and no longer a moral lifestyle. Especially in the "miracle" scene, which was just so ridiculous-- these people cared about the shock of a possible miracle, the hype and publicity surrounding it, but not the meaning of it (although it's quite obviously a farce anyway).

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. I feel like I have much more to say, but I have no clue what direction to go in with my thoughts. This week made me realize how helpful our class discussion is. I'll leave this here and maybe with some comments and advice I can refine my interpretations a bit more. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I definitely feel the same way about not being able to discuss this film in class, it's a little frustrating. I feel like I saw Marcello question his life a few times during the movie but ultimately chose to keep on living "the sweet life." Marcello and his girlfriend's relationship really bugged the heck out of me. It seemed like such a love/hate relationship, and I agree that she could be a bit dramatic at times. The religious aspect of this film was a little confusing to me as well and I really understand how much the class discussions help out. I enjoyed reading your blog though, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand the confusion when it comes to understanding this film, without talking about it in class. I do however liked that you touched upon the whole aspect of the fashion that was incorporated into the film and how the film was based off of this. On top of that I also liked that you described them as slipping in religion. lol now that I really think about it that does seem kinda random. Fashion,Glamor,Sex...religion haha yeah, anyway I can agree that it is confusing.

    Secondly I liked that you talked about Marcello in general. As a main character I myself had trouble connecting to him because as you said we didn't really get a lot of his point a view in many situations. I guess that's why I didn't really like him...or maybe it was because he was a jerk lol either one works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point about Marcello's girlfriend is really cool. What does his fight/reconciliation with his gf that loves him more like a mother mean to Italians. Is it a commentary on all the prissy moma's boys out there? idk, But the relationship is messed up, almost like he wants to bang his mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have quite a few really interesting points in this post. First, I really like your comment about being unsure of what the film should make you feel. I often feel the same way when I watch foreign films. I can’t fully understand where they’re going or why they’re putting certain images and moments on the screen (at least I can’t as easily understand them as I can older American films).

    I also thought your points about Marcello’s character were really interesting. I think you’re absolutely right about the fact that we never really got his point of view or understood what he was feeling. It’s as if Fellini sets up a film that studies character and behavior but never allows us to become intimate with and understand the main protagonist. It’s so different from what we’re used to but I think it effectively makes us feel like we are one of the people enjoying this particular lifestyle. We are able to look around and experience all of this glamour and luxury, and yet we never truly connect to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, it's really fun for me to see what you all have to say without class discussion, because your description of what you saw is really dead on. Marcello is indeed a contradictory character, and he doesn't really resolve his contradictions. And the movie really is full of everything you say it is. I think the part about Catholicism is a little less confusing when you remember that Italy is a very, very Catholic country, and this was filmed only about 10 years after the end of a fascist regime and a war that Italy lost--a time when people were expressing their freedom by going the other extreme, in a way.

    ReplyDelete