Friday, February 12, 2010

Week 3, Laura!

In class this week, we learned and read about the Femme Fatale type-- the dangerous woman. When thinking about this type in comparison to the character Laura, I think that she is almost the complete opposite in many ways. Really, the only danger to her is that she arouses a dangerous, unhealthy obsession in men. Other than that, I found her really pathetic. We discussed in class how Laura is like Kane in many ways, and whether or not we can or should even view her as a true person. Although they are similar, I say Laura is not completely like Kane-- yes, in both movies the main characters are dead and we can only see them through the biased eyes of others who know them. But there is a big difference here-- Laura gets to, in a way, come back from the dead; she has a chance to redeem her self as a true character with personality, and she doesn't. To me, Laura is either a naive and idiotic woman who does not realize that she is only viewed as an object by all of the men in her life, or else she is another kind if idiotic woman who realizes she is just a pretty jewel being passed around between three men and she's content with that.

When looking back on it, I realized it was pretty clear that Lydecker could easily be the killer. In the very first scene of the movie we see what a pompous and materialistic man he is-- his entire apartment is over-the-top and full of valuable little pretty possessions-- he yells at McPherson for even laying a hand on his belongings. After talking about it in class, it's clear that Lydecker's relationship with Laura is unorthodox and kinda creepy. There is no reason for the audience to believe that there is a true sexual relationship between the two, yet a level of infatuation and pure obsession within Lydecker is clear to everyone except Laura, who just goes along with being his lap dog. Later on, we experience Lydecker demanding that the gifts he had given to Laura are returned to him, emphasizing his possessiveness. All of these things are clues into Lydecker's mindset-- if he can't have Laura, then no one can.

Re-watching and discussing the scene of McPherson going through Laura's unmentionables, sniffing her perfume, and gazing passionately at her portrait in class really helped to highlight my feelings that Laura is viewed only as an object and when being looked at as a true person is quite pathetic and ignorant. Honestly, the picture of her on the wall has more presence and dominance than the woman herself. It is the portrait that constantly demands attention in so many scenes and that eventually causes McPherson's craze for Laura sexually. Laura herself simply goes along with whoever she is with at the time, and honestly does not make a hint of difference in the sequence of events herself.

Other than my vehemence toward Laura's character, and really toward the other characters in a way too, I thought this was an interesting movie. Not being familiar with old movies, film noir, or femme fatale, it was peculiar to be exposed to these things in a film that is not conventionally noir and does not have the typical femme fatale character. Our reading on the femme fatale type stirred my interest because to me this type just objectified women in another way, saying we can only be one of two things-- submissive, married, and family oriented or independent and powerful because of beauty and sexuality. I also think this type just turns around and makes men objects for women-- something that makes them feel good, powerful, and fulfill sexual fantasy, but also very disposable.

6 comments:

  1. I think that u might have been a little harsh on the characters, I believe that there is a difference between idiocy and naivety, and Laura definitely gave off the naive vibe.

    Also, I think that Lydecker said that he wanted all those possessions back so that he could get the murder weapon out of Laura's apartment. He hid the importance of the clock by demanding everything that he had given her back.

    Your views on the men as well are very extreme, I really do not think that McPhearson has any ill intention towards Laura.

    I do completely agree with you about Laura's presence as person and picture. That picture was absolutely gorgeous. I want one. Laura was very lackluster in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, it was stupid of me but I never thought about the fact that the murder weapon was hidden in the clock and clearly that was why he wanted it back!

    I didn't mean to say McPherson had ill intentions toward Laura, I don't know if I said something to imply that... I definitely thought that of the three men he was the most sexually obsessed with her (shown by him going through her underwear). Also, the fact that his obsession began before knowing she was still alive was creepy to me.. not necessarily meaning he had bad intentions with Laura.

    I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to defend everything I said... I'm honestly very new to analyzing films and sometimes am not sure where to start when I try, so I'm thankful for comments and critiques that help me think about how to go after the task :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the fact that Laura is pretty pathetic but naive and never really showed us who she was or even showed us she could make a single decision on her own. Even though Kane was always dead, the lifeless Laura seemed to show less of a personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with your statement of Laura being naive, in fact I completely agree with it,but I would have to say that I didn't really find her to be idiotic. There were points in the film where I felt like she was in control, and new exactly what she was doing. For example when Lydecker was reading to her in his memory she seemed a bit masculine holding her cigarette, looking off into the distance.

    On the other hand she did just seem to settle in the end with someone who shes only known for about two days... so what does that tell ya. Anyway I think you gave a well rounded perspective to the film, also nice detail on how the picture was used in that scene,it was really well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good post! I think it’s interesting that you said it’s pretty clear that Lydecker is the killer because I thought the same thing. I also think it’s interesting that the filmmakers chose to begin the film with Waldo. He’s not only in the first scene, his voice over brings us into the story which almost forces us to have a connection with him. It’s cool to think also that everyone of the characters is presented as being somewhat guilty. The film doesn’t try to hide who the killer is by making everyone appear innocent. It does the opposite.

    I agree with your claim that Laura is different then Kane. I thought that she was naïve but I didn’t think she was pathetic. I like Mike’s point about her coming off as strong at some points as well as the fact that she settled with a guy she knew for two days. That was a little strange. It really didn’t seem like Laura belonged with any of the men and I actually think the film could’ve benefited from breaking away from this conventional, tie-everything-in, ending. Once again, I really liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good discussion.

    I think that a lot of what's going on makes more sense if we just go with it that Laura is supposed to be a blank surface. Then the movie becomes about how the men behave toward their image of her, and also with each other.

    Mentioning the reading that was specifically about the movie might have given you another angle to toss around too. I think trying to slot her as a femme fatale gets way too confusing, though you're right to say she really isn't.

    ReplyDelete